Applications are now being accepted for the St. Claire Foundation's 2019 scholarships!
The deadline to apply for the St. Claire Auxiliary Scholarship is Monday, April 22, 2019. The deadline for the St. Claire Foundation Richard J. Bausch Family Scholarship and Sister Mary Jeannette Wess, SND, Scholarship is Friday, May 24, 2019.
Richard J. Bausch Family Scholarship
The Richard J. Bausch Family Scholarship is funded by an endowment that was established in memory of the father of Gregory Bausch, PharmD, Institutional Director of Medical Education at St. Claire HealthCare. The Bausch scholarship is an annual $1,000 award intended to assist a college student from Appalachia who is pursuing a health sciences degree.
To qualify, an applicant must:
- Be a pre-professional health sciences student, in good standing, enrolled in a community/technical college or university program.
- Be a resident of an Appalachian county as defined by the federal government.
At least one recipient will be selected annually, based on application, with a minimum of $1,000 per award (per available funds) for tuition, books, and fees.
Sister Mary Jeannette Wess, SND, Scholarship
The Sister Mary Jeannette Wess, SND, Scholarship is named in honor of SCH's president/CEO from 1983-1995. Prior to her death in January 1996, she requested that donations be made to establish a scholarship fund to assist students from SCH's service region.
To qualify for the $750 Sister Mary Jeannette Wess, SND, Scholarship, an applicant must:
- Be at least a college junior by fall semester 2019.
- Be pursuing a bachelor's degree or higher at an accredited college or university.
- Have graduated from a high school in one of the following St. Claire HealthCare service-area counties: Bath, Carter, Elliott, Fleming, Lewis, Magoffin, Menifee, Montgomery, Morgan, Rowan or Wolfe.
- Be able to demonstrate academic achievement, leadership, service, and financial need.
St. Claire Auxiliary Scholarship
The St. Claire Auxiliary established a college scholarship endowment to assist students with an interest in medicine and a heart for community service. The award will be worth a minimum of $500 for the fall 2019 semester.
To qualify for the scholarship, an individual must:
- Be a full-time student (high school graduate or graduating senior) enrolled in an accredited medically related program of study (associate or baccalaureate).
- Demonstrate academic achievement (GPA of 3.0 or higher), leadership, and community service.
- Have financial need as identified by the Office of Enrollment Services at an accredited college or university
Preference will be given to students who are actively volunteering in SCH volunteer programs with at least 100 hours of service.
Bertha Ross Hough Endowment Fund
Established through the St. Claire Foundation to honor the nurses and aides who cared for the late Bertha Ross Hough during her final year, "Bertha's Fund" provides financial assistance for those who want to pursue similar careers in the medical field.
The fund is available to staff members of St. Claire Regional Medical Center and the Elliott County Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, as well as individuals affiliated with Sarah's Place in Sandy Hook.
Prior to her passing in January 2013, the nurses and aides cared for Mrs. Hough with the utmost compassion and kindness. "We are told that time after time, those care providers would put aside their own difficulties, and even tragedies, to care for Mrs. Hough and others, truly putting others before themselves," said Tom Lewis, St. Claire Foundation Executive Director. "This endowment is being established because of their efforts. This endowment is truly their fund."