The laboratory at St. Claire Regional Medical Center (SCR) offers state-of-the-art comprehensive clinical and anatomical testing for inpatient and outpatient services. SCR’s laboratory is staffed by board- certified pathologists.
Technical staff includes medical technologists, medical laboratory technicians, histologists
and cytotechnologists registered through American Medical Society of Clinical Pathology.
For more information or to ask questions about laboratory procedures, please call 606.783.6721.
SCR’s Laboratory is fully accredited and certified by:
The Joint Commission
American Association of Blood Banks
SCR’s laboratory performs approximately 1 million annual tests, specializing in the following areas:
– Hematology is the study of blood, the blood-forming organs, and blood diseases. Hematology includes the study of etiology, diagnosis, treatment, prognosis, and prevention of blood disease.
– Clinical Chemistry is the chemical analysis of blood, urine & other body fluids to help in the diagnosis and treatment of disease. This area includes basic and comprehensive metabolic panels and other panels such as thyroid, renal, liver, lipids, cardiac, tumor markers and anemia.
(AABB certified) – Performs testing to determine the blood type of patients and identify compatible blood products for blood transfusions and treatments to ensure and enhance quality. Approximately 2,000 blood products are transfused annually. All blood products are obtained from the Kentucky Blood Center (KBC) in Lexington, Ky.
– Microbiology includes routine isolation and identifications of pathogens, antibiotics susceptibility testing, DNA amplification testing for chlamydia and GC.
Pathology & Cytology
– The pathology service is involved in the diagnosis of diseases through the examination of tissue biopsies as well as organs resected in surgery. The cytology service provides diagnoses on both gynecologic and non-gynecologic specimens. In addition on site evaluation of biopsy material obtained within the operating room, CT or Ultrasound is also offered.
Occupational Drug Screens
– Maintains and performs drug screenings for companies.
Community Health Screenings
– Performs community services featuring cholesterol and glucose screenings.
Laboratory Reference Manual (PDF)